Sunday, April 29, 2012

"To live in this world you must be able to do three things:


to love what is mortal;
to hold it


against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go."


Yesterday there was a mass exodus of Kikuyu Kenyans, two Mexican guys and me, the unwilling representative of America, to Nyeri.  The landscape really changed, became greener and more hilly as we drew closer to the Mt. Kenya area.  I reminisced about Rwanda and with a tug at my chest swore to myself (for the 10 millionth time) that I will visit the Land of A Thousand Hills again.  We passed some waterfalls and large rock outcroppings and all wished that we could see Mt. Kenya through the wall of clouds.

When we arrived, Eliza showed me where she went to primary school back before the roads were paved.  The air smelled wet and incredibly clean.  We were surrounded by magnificent trees that had no doubt been planted due to the motivation of Wangari Maathai.  I met a large part of Peris's family including her dad and grandmother.  Her grandmother was the inspiration for the family gathering and was a sweet, kind lady who can still dance like no one's business at 89.

Leo (today), was massively productive for a Sunday.  Not only did I get a lot of boring organizing/cleaning done, but I also was able to spend some real, quality time with my Kenyan sister Wangui and her 2 and 1/2 year old boy (who looks so much like her and has the most heart melting smile).  I feel so comfortable around her.  I can tell her anything and we share the funniest laughs.  The kind that make the people all around you stop what they are doing to stare.

After we shared some chicken and chips (fries) the sky was growing ominously dark and it was becoming that time.  I kissed her and her boy and she secured me the front seat in a matatu going the right direction.  I know I'll see her again but I felt a lump in my throat as we pulled away.

Back at the homestead ; ) Shiro and I played with my crazy Jack.  She provided moral support while I ghetto rigged some sisal rope around two fruit containers that Jack will have to hang out in on the airplane.  I cooked him up a ridiculously generous dinner and meals for the next day and half and later the damn, greedy cat ate about two meals worth of what I cooked since I left it up on the counter to cool.  I have never hated a cat before in my life, but I had literally given this thing about 3 handfuls of raw meat just minutes before.  Arg!!!

I had to say goodbye to Samuel today.  He was leaving to give trainings in South Sudan.  It was a rushed goodbye since his taxi was waiting, but that's probably for the best since I didn't have a chance to start crying.  I know I'll be seeing him again, too, maybe even working for/with him, if the stars align right.

Now I'm listening to the song of the rain and wondering how on Earth I managed to pack 98% of my remaining belongings a full day ahead of when I am leaving.  That is definitely, without a doubt, a first for me.  I'm wondering who I am becoming.  I also notice lately that I'm able to multitask and plan for the upcoming day with a shocking amount of ease and absence of the regular stress.  I think I have Africa to thank for that.  Living here (and Kigali) has really done an impressive number on my long gone tendency to fret about stupid things and worry in advance about nearly everything.  Yes, I definitely still worry sometimes.  It's just that now, I catch myself and shut it off like a hose.

and a Vivaldi Mandolin Concerto has accompanied the rain and my eyelids are nagging me.

I hope with all my heart that the rain wears itself out overnight and we get a few hours in the morning without it.  I had to rescheduled the Mangu trip to plant more beds with Dorcus because we got rained out last time.  We'll see what happens.

Think I need to add "learn to play Mandolin" to my To Do list.














2 comments:

Momma said...

Love that Mary Oliver poem... and YOU. You are a treasure. Hugs, Momma

Momma said...

And...
"Go now in peace, go now in peace;
may the spirit of love surround you
everywhere, everywhere you may go."